The area is dominated by The Barony, a college providing courses in agriculture, fisheries and forestry.
It began in the 1970s. The campus has been created around the former Kirkmichael House,
built in a sixteenth-century style in the 1830s.
There is evidence on the site of a previous mansion having been here since the 1650s.
The name of the parish hereabouts is Kirkmichael and the kirk of that name lies to the north-west.
It was built around 1815. In 1674 Kirkmichael absorbed the parish of Garvald to the east and the ruins of its
early-seventeenth-century kirk are a couple of miles north-east of Parkgate.
About one mile north-east of Parkgate, alongside the A701, there is a spot known as the Six Corses [Scots, 'corpses'].
This is where in 1296, according to tradition, six English soldiers were killed by the freedom-fighter William Wallace and
his companions but in truth there are reasons to doubt that Wallace was ever in the area
(see Some Historical BackgroundSome Historical Background).