The village is close to where the Romans had one of their roads going north and a
short distance to the north-west at Carzield they built a fort.
Carnsalloch House, to the south-west, is a swanky mansion built in the Palladian style in the late 1750s.
Alexander Johnston, who originally came from Galloway, had made a fortune in London and bought the estate from the Maxwells.
In more recent times it has been a Leonard Cheshire care home and a private school but became unoccupied in 2004.
Because of vandalism and general deterioration the A-listed structure was put on the Buildings at Risk register.
In 2008 Historic Scotland announced a grant towards its repair and adaptation into flats.
To the north of Carnsalloch and of the same period is another substantial house, Milnhead,
complete with doocot and a big walled garden. It later became the dower house for Carnsalloch.
Kirkmahoe parish kirk was built in the 1820s.
The kirkyard contains an 1832 gravestone whose long poetical inscription must be one of the most effusive in Scotland:
Stranger! One fleeting moment save,
For this is MARY LINDSAY'S GRAVE,
Who practised, in her low estate,
Virtues that well become the great:
Who, self-denying, chaste, and kind,
An honour was to womankind,
Near yon rude cot she first drew breath,
And there she closed her eyes in death
- Pattern to all who wish to thrive -
At the ripe age of eighty-five.
And so it goes on - and on. The secret of Mary's longevity, we are told, was 'no husband.nor offspring'. Remarkably, the tribute has a credit for its author, a lady.
Who even in death would Mary shield
- Hannah of Bayhall Huddersfield.