A village associated with the Castlemilk estate whose architectural history is one of successive demolition.
The original medieval house, a Bruce stronghold, gave way towards the end of the eighteenth century to a classical mansion.
This in turn was taken down in favour of the present riot of Scottish Baronial romanticism, completed in 1870.
It was designed by David Bryce, a leading exponent at the time of this grand revivalist style, and has been
described as 'one of the largest and most lavish of Bryce's great baronial houses'.
The Victorian pile was built for Sir Robert Jardine (1825-1905), one of the tribe of Dumfriesshire men
of that ilk who followed their uncle William into the Far East mercantile goldmine that was Jardine Matheson & Co.
Like most of the rest, he returned home with his massive wealth and bought into a substantial landed presence,
their combined holdings earning for this neck of the woods the nickname 'Chinatown' (see Fame and Fortune).
One of Jardine's passions was horse-racing. With his cousin, John Johnstone of Halleaths, he maintained a stud that produced Derby and Ascot winners.
Castlemilk's architect David Bryce also designed St Mungo's kirk, which was built during 1875-7,
presumably at the Hong Kong laird's expense.
This came just thirty years after the previous kirk had been built.
But the earlier building was not wasted: it was converted into St Mungo's school.
The remains of an even earlier parish kirk are to the west of the village at old St Mungo's by the banks of the River Annan,
burial place of many a Jardine and Buchanan-Jardine.
The village's own wee river is the sweetly named Water of Milk.