A clachan at the western extremity of the huge munitions factory, centred on Eastriggs,
that was created along the Solway during the First World War.
Dornock was at the Scottish end of an important ford across the Solway Firth. The Sandy Wath reached land on the other side at Drumburgh. It was a favourite shortcut for
the cattle drovers going to southern markets. On the Cumberland side there is still an inn called the Drovers' Rest.
The ford to the east of the Dornock one, the Sul Wath near the mouth of the River Esk, gives the Solway its name.
The coastal farm name Battlehill is a reminder of the Battle of Dornock that took place here in
1333 when the Anglo-Scottish wars of independence broke out again following the death four years
earlier of King Robert Bruce. It was a defeat for the Scots and foreshadowed the bigger and more decisive
thrashing they suffered later the same year at the Battle of Halidon Hill near Berwick-upon-Tweed.
The conflict was as much to do with the endemic rivalry between the Bruces and the Balliols.
Edward Balliol was staking his claim to the Scottish crown in place of Bruce's infant successor David II.
With the military might of England's Edward III behind him, he was briefly successful
(see Some Historical Background).
Swordwell is the name of a local spring where weapons were reputedly cleaned after the battle.
To the north, Stapleton Tower was built in the mid or late sixteenth century for a branch of the Irvines of
Bonshaw Tower near Kirtlebridge.
The tower was incorporated into a nineteenth-century mansion.
When the mansion was later demolished, the tower was left intact.
When Dornock had a railway station its name had to be changed in 1923 to
Eastriggs because there was too much confusion with Dornoch in Sutherland.