The Carrruthers family first came to prominence in Dumfriessshire as dependents of the Bruces of Lochmaben.
Their influence steadily spread through the parishes of Dalton and Mouswald. The name 'Carrutherstown' comes therefore as no surprise.
Hetland Hall, now a hotel, was built in 1868. At that time it was called Morrison House after its owner Rev John Morrison.
There were numerous changes of ownership. In 1925 it was given a massively expensive interior re-fit, including the installation of an
Italian walnut staircase, and the house was re-named Hetland Hall (there's a Hetlandhill nearby).
In 1940 it was turned into a Roman Catholic boys' school run by the Marist Brothers. It became a hotel in 1985.