At the beginning of the nineteenth century there were grand plans for Brydekirk: a grid-iron layout of streets fronting onto a semi-circular tree-lined boulevard, and textile mills powered by the River Annan. But only the present Bridge Street emerged from this proposal, while the mills were demolished long ago. The development scheme had been the initiative of Colonel Alexander Dirom (1757-1830) of the Mount Annan estate to the south-east on the opposite bank of the river. Dirom, originally from Banffshire, was a distinguished army officer. He came into possession of Mount Annan through marriage to its heiress Magdalen Pasley.
The present kirk was built in 1835 as a chapel of ease, a gift from Mrs Dirom. A chapel of ease was for parishioners who would otherwise have had to travel a substantial distance for worship. No doubt it was handy for Mrs Dirom herself.
Down by the River Annan, slightly upstream from the present village, are fragments of two earlier ecclesiastical buildings: on the west side, the original twelfth-century kirk dedicated to St Bryde or Bridget; on the opposite side the burial ground of the medieval kirk of Luce which was demolished in 1609 when the parish was absorbed into Hoddom. It was around here that the village had its nucleus until it did a Dirom-a-dee.