The shortest place-name in Scotland: so short in fact and so liable to be mis-heard as 'eh?' that it is usually lengthened into Ae Village.
But that itself can be confusing since ae is Scots for 'one'.
According to Sir Edward Johnson-Ferguson in The Place-Names of Dumfriesshire (1935), the word comes from Gaelic ey, 'river'.
If this is true, then the Water of Ae which flows past the village could be alternatively called the River River.
The village did not exist until 1947 when the Forestry Commission began developing it as housing for employees involved in
the management of the Forest of Ae, a vast plantation which has also been used by the Commission as a test-site for new techniques.
To the north of the village, within the Forest of Ae, are the remains of Glenae Tower. The castle appears to have been
abandoned by the end of the fifteenth century when its owners, the Dalzells, moved to Kirkmichael Tower.
The name was revived, however, for an eighteenth-century mansion built for the Dalzells near Amisfield.
The Place-Names of Dumfriesshire is available from
AbeBooks.co.uk - find more than 110 million out-of-print books worldwide.